Why we work with regulators
The objective of the IFRS Foundation is to develop, in the public interest, a single set of high quality, understandable, enforceable and globally accepted financial reporting standards that help investors and other market participants make economic decisions. The IFRS Foundation, therefore, works with those regulator organisations which are responsible for maintaining the efficiency of these capital markets around the world.
High quality IFRS Standards:
- help market regulators fulfil their investor protection mandate and promote investor confidence.
- support prudential regulators in their work by helping to identify systemic risks and weakness within the financial system.
- provide a range of enforcers with a common basis for financial reporting on which to structure their work.
Regulators have substantial direct knowledge of financial reporting and working relationships with issuers within their jurisdictions. In our work with regulators we:
- seek input from regulators throughout the standard-setting process to ensure IFRS Standards are capable of enforcement across a range of jurisdictions;
- support them in the role that they play in supporting consistent application of IFRS Standards; and
- raise awareness about new IFRS Standards and the materials and resources that we provide to support the implementation of those Standards.
How we work with regulators
In support of our shared interest in the efficiency of capital markets, the IFRS Foundation works with various regulator organisations and their members in connection with our standard-setting and activities to support consistent application.
We have also entered into agreements with some of these organisations. Details of those agreements can be found below.
- International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO)
- European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA)
We welcome contributions from regulators in the development of new IFRS Standards. Regulators provide feedback to us through comment letters and outreach. Click here to view a list of consultations that are currently open for comment.
Supporting consistent application
Regulators support the consistent application of IFRS Standards through their enforcement activities, and by raising awareness of new Standards and encouraging the readiness of issuers in their jurisdiction.
Supporting consistent application of IFRS Standards
The principle-based nature of IFRS Standards can sometimes lead to differences in the interpretation of how to apply those principles. Regulators alert us to these differences and application queries.
Some application queries are addressed by the IFRS Interpretations Committee. Click here to find out whether and how to submit an application query to the Interpretations Committee.
Resources for regulators
Supporting consistent application:We provide stakeholders with materials and resources to support the consistent application of IFRS Standards. Details are available on the Applying the Standards section of the website here.
Additional resources for some specific types of jurisdictions and stakeholders includes:
- Click here for information about assistance, offered by our translation, adoption and copyright team, for jurisdictions that are first-time adopters of IFRS Standards.
- Click here to find out about the Emerging Economies Group.
- Click here to find out about resources for small or medium-sized entities who apply the IFRS for SMEs Standard.